Home » Blaze rips through block of flats in Redhill

Blaze rips through block of flats in Redhill

A number of people have been left homeless after a large blaze broke out at a staff hospital accommodation block in Redhill, Surrey.

A fire that is understood to have started in the kitchen on the 3rd floor and spread to the roof of the newly refurbished properties.

 

Flames rising from the roof of the building in Royal Earlswood Park after the fire took hold on Tuesday evening. Forty firefighters from across Surrey tackled the blaze. Fire bosses have praised crews  for their courageous work in stopping the fire from spreading to other properties with the block.
About ten people were evacuated from the block, Surrey Fire and Rescue Service said.

A spokesman for the service said it believed the blaze was started by a cooker on the third floor before it began to spread.
Some 40 firefighters and six fire engines were called to tackle the blaze shortly before 10.30pm.