A fire commander has praised the impact of a Southampton tower’s retro-fitted sprinkler system which kept the fire under control and enabled crews to tackle the fire as quickly as possible this morning.
Seven fire appliances and forty fire fighters were dispatched to deal with a faulty tumble dryer that had burst into flames on the seven floor in a flat within Canberra Towers on International Way Southampton.
Hampshire head of Operations Rob Cole said: “The impact of sprinklers have demonstrated in the tackling of this fire. How effective they are.
“The system kept the fire under control and stopped it spreading five crews extra minutes to safely tackle the blaze.
“Having sprinklers installed is like having a firefighter in every room.
No residents needed to be evacuated and the stay put policy worked exactly as it should.”
Seven appliances attended the blaze from Eastleigh, St Mary’s, Redbridge, Hamble and Hightown along with a number of officers.
Fire at canberra towers Southampton. 24 storey block has recently had retro fitted sprinklers installed. They activated in the kitchen keeping the fire in check and under control so our Firefighters could safely extinguish the fire on the 7th floor. Everything worked as it should