Home » Candle causes blaze in home in Maidstone

Candle causes blaze in home in Maidstone

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a house in Old School Lane, Maidstone, to reports of bedroom fire caused by a candle.

The occupier was cooking dinner when she started smelling smoke. After realising it wasn’t the food burning she checked the rest of the house and found a fire in a bedroom, where a candle had set fire to the chest of draws it was sat on.

Fortunately the bedroom door was shut, containing the fire.

Two fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to put the fire out.

A high pressure fan was used to clear the building of smoke. There were no reported injuries.

Leanne McMahon, KFRS Group Manager for Community Safety said: Lots of people enjoy lighting candles at home, but it’s so important they’re used with caution. Make sure they’re fitted in a candle holder and placed on a non-flammable surface, and they shouldn’t be left unattended when burning, especially with young children or pets in the house.

Make sure they aren’t burning close to curtains, bedding, clothing or even plants which might catch fire