Home » Two arrests made over murder of Southampton man

Two arrests made over murder of Southampton man

Officers investigating the murder of a 22-year-old man in Oxford have arrested two men.

A 25-year-old man and an 18-year-old man, both from Oxford, were arrested last night on suspicion of murder and remain in police custody at this time.

The arrests relate to an incident in Southfield Road, Oxford, last Wednesday (27/2) when two men were attacked.

A 22-year-old man, from Southampton, was struck by a vehicle and stabbed several times. He sadly died in the John Radcliffe Hospital last night (6/3).

The second victim, a 27-year-old man, sustained less serious injuries and has since been discharged from hospital.

A 19-year-old man of no fixed abode, who was also arrested in connection with the incident, remains in police custody, while a 22-year from Oxford who was arrested last week is on police bail until 27 March.

Another 20-year-old man, from Oxford, has also been released on police bail until 1 April, while a 21-year-old man, from Oxford, has been released without charge.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Blaik, of Thames Valley Police’s Major Crime Unit, said: “Tragically, the injuries sustained by one of the victims in this incident have proved fatal and we have launched a murder investigation.

“The victim’s family and the other victim are being supported by specially trained officers.

“We believe this incident started in Ridgefield Road at around 11.20pm last Wednesday (27/2) before continuing on to Southfield Road where the victims were attacked.

“I am continuing to appeal for witnesses who may have seen what happened, or have any information, to contact us.

“I am very keen to hear from anybody who may have mobile phone, CCTV or dash-cam footage to get in touch with us on the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre 101, quoting URN 1134 (6/3).”

Local Police Commander for Oxford City, Supt Joe Kidman said: “Understandably, this incident has had an impact on the local community, however there is no suggestion of a threat to the wider local community.

“We have been in close contact with local councillors and resident groups and will provide further information as soon as we can.

“There will be a continued increased police presence in the coming days, including our Neighbourhood officers, members of the Public Space Drugs Taskforce and specialist officers from our Joint Operations Unit.

“Please do not hesitate to approach any of our officers if you have any concerns or information that may assist our investigation.”