An elderly woman has suffered burns to her head and hands in a gas explosion at Archery Square in Deal. Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a gas explosion in Archery Square, Walmer near Deal just after 9pm last night. When crews arrived, neighbours who raised the alarm had got the elderly female resident out of the property. Firefighters tended to burns on her head and hands, worked to cool her down and provided oxygen therapy, before passing her into the care of South East Coast Ambulance Service. The blast, which came from the kitchen, caused significant damage to the property, smashing the rear downstairs windows and cracking an internal wall. Firefighters found a knob on the gas cooker turned on, and the casualty told crews that the explosion happened just as she switched on her electric kettle. As a result of the explosion, there was a small fire on the kitchen table with items alight, and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.