BREAKING NEWS PORTSMOUTH

Mutiny cancelled after two dead from Drugs Overdose

Mutiny festival in Portsmouth cancelled after two suspected drug related deaths. Woman, 18, and man, 20, both died in hospital after falling ill at the music festival yesterday evening as previously reported. Organisers posted this message on their website shortly after 9 o’clock this morning:

Fortsmouth’s Mutiny Festival, which attracts thousands of fans, announced this morning that the second day would not go ahead in light of the two separate incidents, which police are currently investigating.

No official cause of death has been given by authorities, but in the wake of the tragedies, festival organisers issued a warning about a ‘high-strength or bad-batch substance’ they believed could be making its way around the site.

A statement issued this morning by the festival said: “Following the terrible news from earlier today, the team behind Mutiny Festival are incredibly sad to announce that the Sunday of the festival has been cancelled as a safety precaution.

“The safety of our amazing customers has always been paramount to us and so to keep everyone safe and in respect to those who have passed, we have taken the decision not to open today. As you can imagine, this decision was not taken lightly and was taken with the support of the local statutory authorities who we continue to work with.

“Enquiries are being made into the circumstances of what has happened, but we must reiterate our advice to all our customers to responsibly dispose of any substances.

“More information will follow when available, we appreciate your understanding at this difficult time.”

Craig David and Sean Paul were among the acts who were scheduled to perform today, while UK rapper Dizzee Rascal was the headline act on the opening day.

Police were first alerted to a woman falling ill at the festival site yesterday evening. A man was found collapsed on the floor around 20 minutes later.

Both were rushed to hospital where they later died.

The announcement, which organisers said was a “safety precaution”, prompted demands for refunds from disappointed customers on social media.

More from UK News in Pictures: